The Parent Trap

.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Silver Dollar Fair!

I just love fairs!  Growing up it was the Central Washington State Fair.  When I was in Camp Fire we would enter in stuff.  I entered in canned peaches, strawberry jam, a pillow I had made, and who knows what else.  It felt good to make something, enter it in to be judged, and then go to the fair to try and find your entry.  One year I won a Best in Show for my canned peaches.  I peaked at 9 years old.  When I first moved to Chico, Andy would tell me all about the Silver Dollar Fair.  I couldn't wait.  Going to see the animals, school art projects, canned jellies, flowers, etc. Fairs are so down home and fun.  The fair in Chico is quite a bit smaller than the CWSF, but it is just as awesome.  We have taken the kids every year since they were born.




Their first fair!
 




As you can see Trenton had the most adorable forehead ever.  We call that his "not impressed" face.

2nd Fair!








They went on rides, touched bunnies and even had a friend come too!

This year was the best and worst.  They wanted to run around everywhere! They rode the carousel, touched more bunnies,  knew all the animals and their sounds, ate corndogs, chocolate covered frozen bananas, and put up with us.  Andy and I love to tour the "only on tv" building. You know the one; slap chop, kitchen gadgets, and other silly stuff that is sold. Although we did have some AMAZING Bloody Mary mix, too bad it was $19.95 a bottle! We got to the fair when it opened at 11 and left at 2. To put that in perspective, lunch is 11:30 and nap is noon.  We decided to just push our luck and run them ragged. It worked.  The frozen banana before we left was perfect. It was cold enough that the just sucked on it until they could bite into it and it kept them busy.  Next year when they are 3, I know they will have even more fun.  





 We like the "down home" part of the quilts and art by local students. 





They sure enjoyed the aniamls. Especially the baby animals.


Mmm, corn dogs.


 Cheapest ride. It was a quarter!







 Frozen Bananas!



 So there is a building that has floral arrangements and table settings that are judged.  Last year's theme was sports. This year: Laundry??  That Tablescape (As Aunt Sandy Lee would say) won Best in Show. I mean, what the hell? Camping plates, a bandana and a checkered camping table cloth? I've seen better tablescapes at Pier 1!






Trent and Verona on the carousel. And those machines you put a quarter into for a quick foot "massage" was a hit. They loved it. Next year that will be our go to ride.

2 comments:

  1. Have loved getting caught up on your blog! We are SO coming to the fair with you next year-sad we missed it this year! Verona's piggie tails while checking out the pigs is too cute:) T & V are huge- we need to see you 4 and soon!!!

    ReplyDelete