The Parent Trap

.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Ms. Current Event

When I was in high school, I had an awesome history teacher. I had him my entire sophomore and junior year. I was bummed he didn't teach senior history classes. At the beginning of each class, he would ask if someone had a "current event" to share.  As long as it wasn't sports or entertainment and you had it memorized, you would get a point. The points would then be added to your grade. As in, you missed 5 on a test, now you only missed 2 because you had bonus points from current events.  To say I "read the newspaper" is a laugh. I devour news. I make news wish it had never been wrote.  Everyday I would get up early and read the entire newspaper. All sections. Front and back. I only skipped classifieds.  I always had at least 3-5 current events to share each day.  I had gotten so many points, that my teacher declared me the "current events winner" for the year. An unofficial title of course.  My friends teased me about my "current event' knowledge. But deep down I knew they would always want to be on my team in a trivia game.

My love for news has only grown. I currently read 3-4 newspapers online everyday. My hometown paper, Yakima Herald-Republic, the Seattle Times and PI, and the Chico ER. I read the Herald the most.  I like to know what is going on in my hometown. When I talk with my parents, I feel that we can talk about more then just the kids, weather, and life. I can ask them about their opinions on a murder trial, a city manager making bad decisions, the new Cabela's or JCP. 

I have played many many many trivia games over the years with friends and family.  I hate losing. I love not just current events but, FUN FACTS!  My closest friends can attest to my 'fun fact' giving through high school. 

I truly hope that my love for learning, curiosity, and need for knowledge get's passed on to the kids.  I hate not knowing what is going on in the world. Good or bad, I learn something new every.single.day.  Pretty sure my high school history teacher would just shake his head and smile if saw these pictures I took of Verona in November. I would be lying if I didn't tell you I was laughing uncontrollably, and I to, just shook my head.




No comments:

Post a Comment