These kid's have turned into such the little copycats. Not only what we say, which is more of a mimic, but our actions. Verona was being sassy last night, so to tease her I put my hands on my hips. She turned around, and looked at me, put her hands on her hips, and said "No you don't!" Whoa!!
If I say something, she and Trent copy it. It's like that kid in school that says everthing you say just to drive you crazy.
But what I find astounding is their memory. Yesterday I called my BFF Jenn so we could face time. We talked for a long time, and kids got to see her dog, and make Jenn laugh.
Last night, I wanted to see what Verona remembered from the conversation. I mean, she's 2, she will cry about a toy, get distracted and go on to something else. When Andy came home, I had her tell him about the call.
Me: V, who did we talk to today?
V: Genn (Jenn)
Me; Does Jenn have a dog?
V; Yes, Lucy the doggie.
Me: Was Lucy awake or sleeping when you saw her?
V: She was sleeping, ahhh, Lucy sleepy
She remembered Jenn's name, the dog's name, and that Lucy was sleeping. I was pretty impressed, considering the conversation had been over 6 hours before hand.
Today, we were leaving the grocery store, which is across the street from Costco. And this interaction happend:
V: Oh mommy, we get hot dogs and gas at Costco?
What?!?! She knows this is where we get gas, and we get hotdogs? Crazy memory!!
Kitty Corner-ish from us is Andy's BFF Rick and his wife Steph. We hang out with them quite a lot. They have a Maltese named Kingston. Verona was afraid of Kingston until this year. Now, when we drive by their house (which we have to in order to leave the neighborhood) She says "We go to doggie's house?" Once in a great while she will say "Oh that Rick's house", or "Steph home?"
Trent's language is really blossoming. But lately he has started this "I want I want I want" which goes for everything from food, to your shoes, to bath, to books. And whenever he accomplishes something, he ALWAYS says "Yeh, we did it!" with such enthusiasm and a huge smile, you can't help but laugh and smile with him.
They are two very polite kids as well. My friend Shannon has 4 boys, and they are the most polite children you will ever meet. Andy and I have worked hard to make sure they say Please, Thank you, no Thank you. I even got them a manner's book 6 months ago and it has helped.
Example: Verona, would you like some more peas?
V: No thank you, I am fine.
Trent, would you like some milk?
T; More More (with the sign) Milk yes please!
We have been working on saying excuse me when they burp. Trent laughs and it usually ends with him being indignant and refusing to say excuse me. That doesn't fly with us. We also won't let them use their hands to eat with. This has backfired when they keep their hands to their sides, bend their heads forward and try to eat like a dog. Oops.
And I may have accidentally potty trained Verona today. Not sure. She has been going #1 at least 2-3 times a day and getting stickers. But before nap today, she refused to put on her diaper and only wanted big girl panties(gerber training pants with the plastic cover over them). Will have to see how this turns out. I let her know that we don't' pee in the big girl panties, and if she does, she will need to wear a diaper. Probably not a pro way of going at it, but I HAVE to have diapers in the house because Trent is no where even close to potty training. I mean, the kid still stands out in the open, holds on to the table, and goes all red in the face for #2.
The good news is I have her bed all set up. On her mattress is a cover, then I have a large piece of PUL fabric with a sheet over it. Then I have a re-usable waterproof bed pad (like the kind from a medical supply store) with a sheet over that. This way, it is quick to change her bed and put her back in it.
Potty training scares the crap out of me. I mean, when you have been relying on diapers for over 2.5 years, it can get difficult. But the thought of not having to buy more diapers, is amazing. Will let you know how it goes!
No comments:
Post a Comment