So October has been as usual a VERY busy month for us. I have a few blog posts to do and will try and get them all done by the end of the week.
First up is V's potty training.
On September 26th, a Thursday, I was done. I was so over changing multiple diapers a day. Verona was going potty on the toilet, no bm, but potty. I was going through mutiple diapers for her, because it's just not nice to put a diaper that has a wee bit of urine in it back on her when she went potty like a big girl.
So that afternoon before nap, I looked at her and said "You won't be wearing diapers any more, now on you will only wear big girl panties." She looked a little panicked. I let her know that accidents happen, and if she needs to go, come find me.
Over the course of the last 3 1/2 weeks, she has only had 3 accidents. One we weren't home for, one she was throwing a massive tantrum and lost all control (bladder control as well), and the 3rd time, she was sooo into playing she didn't tell us, and we didn't ask since she had just gone. She is in panties from when she gets up until bed time. Bed time, she is wearing "night time panties" or as the rest of the world calls them, pull-ups. She just had 6 day run of being dry all night and I was about to switch her out of pull ups, but then she had a few wet nights.
I had read tons of potty training theories: 3 day method (you stay home for 3 days, and the kid wears no pants/underwear/diaper), the 1 day method (potty train in a day, using a potty party and potty doll as motivation) the 2 day method (same as 3 day), etc.
I finally decided to do the Sydney Method. Wing it. I like to wing a lot of things, recipes, driving directions, birth plans (side note: I didn't read a single book about pregnancy or childbirth while I was pregnant, I winged it)
I did cold turkey for Verona. Now she loves it. Took off a child lock off of our downstairs bathroom for her so she can go any time she likes. Oh, and now she has bm's in the toilet. It only took two times of her going in her panties, and me rinsing them out on the front lawn, for her to learn that. She still likes stickers, and will ask for them only sometimes. I have 8 charts covered, front and back with a myriad of stickers.
Trent is starting to see the "rewards" of potty training too. Extra attention, time alone in the bathroom, everyone claps for you and gives you high fives. He isn't there yet, but he has asked a few times to go, but nothing ever comes of it. This will be my last time writing about potty training, that is until Trent starts. I have no idea what to do with a boy, a girl was pretty easy.
No comments:
Post a Comment