Back in 2000 I had a BF, he broke up with me. It was at the time devastating to me. My roommates were worried, my mom was worried so to get me out of my "funk" my mom got me a cross stitch sampler. Yes, this is what every 20 year old girl needs after being broken up with. I picked out one that had cherries. I was terrible at it. So instead I joined a gym.
In Ellensburg at this time there were only 2 gyms. The college gym at the time, the "weight room" was a joke. 2 Treadmills for 8000 students. Yeh. That's right. So I joined Hans'. Yes that was the name. It was the stereotypical muscle head, protein shake, grunting gym you would never think of going to. It also cost $56 a quarter. That is CHEAP! This is where I learned to "workout" and such. I say and "such" because besides a weight class as a sophomore in high school I had NEVER lifted weights. I didn't know any exercises to do with weights or anything. There was a poster on a wall that had pictures and diagrams on how to use weights for that certain part of your body you wanted to work on. I was feeling blue about this break up, but all of the exercise "highs" I got were amazing. I loved all the sweating, and feeling good after a workout.
Today, I am trying to replicate all those good workout feelings. I was laid off from my job August 3rd. When I found out my position was getting eliminated, I was devastated. Or so I thought I was devastated. Turned out I was excited. After spending 8 1/2 years in retail it felt amazing to leave. Weekends off, no more working late on a Tuesday night, getting yelled at by customers, dealing with immature employees, and best of all, no more working for a company that is on a down hill spiral. I loved my job for so many reasons, and I loved a few of my co-workers as well. But, it wasn't going to work so we had to break up. But at least, my company paid me for breaking up with me. Free at last, free to spend all day every day with the twins, doing crafts, making meals I always wanted to. But I also noticed that when at home, it is so much easier to snack. Yikes! A spoonful of Nutella, why not? Oh kids you didn't finish your lunch, mama will! So naturally I have packed on a few pounds. I can still fit into my clothes, just with a few more lunges and stretches.
So today was the first day of working out. We joined a local gym that is referred to as a "Resort and Health Club". It is pretty cool. Trying to remember exercises from 12 years ago is impossible. I walked on the treadmill and this old lady gets on with her OXYGEN tank and is doing the same speed and incline as me. I can't be doing the same as this lady. So I increased my incline by half, and my speed by one third. I felt better, but I was totally racing her. The gym has a women's workout room in the locker room. I did my "free weights" there. I felt like an ass. I did sit ups and pushups and stretches like I was in Jr. High. But here is the biggest difference between working out in 2000 and 2012..
1. I wear the same clothes. I have the SAME mesh shorts and shirts from Jr. High PE class. I wore them in 1994, 2000, and now 2012. All the other ladies were tight black pants and teeny tank tops.
2. Music. Back in 2000 I was still using my Sony Walkman tape player at the gym. I splurged and got a belt to home my CD player. Yes. That happened. Today, I have an iPhone, but I can't figure out how to music on it, so instead I was listening to podcasts of Car Talk from NPR.
3. Dudes. The guys are all the same, only this gym doesn't have a chalk barrel for guys to put their grimy hands into so they are able to get a better grip on that massive weight we both know they won't be able to lift.
I am looking forward to going to the gym every morning. You may be thinking, what about those darling twins of mine. Their cool, I leave them at the FREE daycare at the gym. We all get a break for a few hours.
No comments:
Post a Comment