The Parent Trap

.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

It's been a hard day's night

It has been some time since my last post and I apologize. We left off at 20 weeks and half way. Wow, lots of things have changed.


-I am now 31 weeks and huge.
-I am the not so proud owner of gestational diabetes
-My kids feel the need to kick and move during the night now
-I can no longer wear my wedding band. : ( Swelling of the hands.
-I can barely tie my shoes
-I keep getting mistaken for someone having a Christmas baby
-I have become extremely good at cooking eggs in a stainless steel pan
-I work retail, so the holidays have prevented me from providing a more consistent posting schedule.


Ok, so 31 weeks pregnant. I had an ultrasound at 29 weeks, the twins were measuring just fine. TA is head down like a proper baby should be. TB has a mind of its' own. Head is up, and body curves like a crescent moon with the feet towards my left side. So I get the benefit of a head popping up looking like a cone, AND getting kicked on the side of the ribs. TA likes to push it's little bottom up and then push its' feet against my stomach and ribs. I like to lay on the couch, pull my shirt up and watch the show. Andy finds it to be totally weird as do I. It's strange how I am not grossed out by this. I mean imagine, you are just minding your own business, watching TV and you feel some strange movements in your stomach. Wouldn't you normally call the hospital or think you have some sort of parasite inside you?

Gestation Diabetes: I was pretty upset when I failed the 1 hour glucose test, imagine how I felt when I found out I failed the 3 hour test. I got all hormonal and poor Andy was left standing there holding me while I cursed myself for drinking Juicy Juice Boxes for lunch EVERYDAY for the past 5 MONTHS! Obviously that didn't cause the diabetes, but I felt like it at the time. (It's 100% Juice, I thought I was doing something good!) I met with a nutritionist/dietitian lady twice. Disliked her wholly and have quit going to the program. I know I am not a doctor, but neither was she. Telling me things that just stressed me out. So I am now in control of my own health. And am doing VERY well. I have to be under 90 while fasting over night. And since I stopped going to the program, I have been. I eat animal protein (steak, hamburger, chicken etc) about 1/2 to an hour before I go to bed. That usually helps. Apparently the diabetes is because of the hormonal changes of my body and the placentas are taking all the good stuff and my pancreas can't keep up with the production of insulin so glucose can't be properly digested and hangs out instead. At least I think that is how it works. Either way, I don't eat any simple carbs (cookies, cakes, candy, chips, french fries, junk food). Now my meals consist of MEAT and vegetables, and small amount of some complex carbs. Nothing like eating a hamburger patty at 10 at night with some mustard. The other part of this that I like is that I am eating more consistently. Breakfast is always the same. A piece of double fiber bread toasted and plain. A slice of Pepper Jack Cheese, and 1 or 2 hard friend eggs on top, then a little salsa. Followed with a glass of milk. I always have a healthy snack 2-3 hours later (string cheese or mandarin orange or granny smith apple) then a good lunch. Then afternoon snack of yogurt, apple or mandarin or peanuts. Then dinner, then a night snack of MEAT.

Ahh to have ice cream and cookies.

The kids are moving like crazy. It's fun and strange. We are getting excited to find out what they are. Each week it changes. This week I am convinced it is 2 girls. For the past few months I thought it was B and G. Andy is hoping for B and G, but thinks they are Boys. I think deep down they are boys, but I am hoping for at least 1 girl to drive Andy crazy as a father. : )

Swelling is not too bad. My fingers are swollen when I get up in the morning and for a few hours. I have tried forcing on my wedding band, but it's like a squeezing a sausage into a casing. I have given up and instead wear this ring I got in Venice, Italy. I bought it and Andy and I pretended to be engaged when we were in Germany with our day camp group because apparently the year before the 2 counselors the had actually did get engaged. Hmmm, funny how that worked out for us.

Working retail is not that bad. I like working with the public, even though 30% of them are crazy. The only problem is it is very busy and I keep getting asked "When are you due?" "Looks like a Christmas baby!" "You look ready to pop." I have started responding with yes, it is a Christmas baby, yes I am ready to pop. But I am more forthcoming to those who ask when I am do. I say February, watch them squirm and then say with Twins. I have been getting lots of "Good Luck" and "Wow!" from those folks.

I now go to the doctor every other week. I should also mention that with this new diabetes diet I have lost some weight. I was concerned, but the doctor said not to be worried. 1. I was obviously eating some not so healthy stuff before. 2. Since I am carrying twins, and came into the pregnancy with a little extra stuffing, I should only gain 25-35 pounds. With that, counting the loss from my last appointment which was last week Thursday, I have only gained 17 pounds. The doctor is pleased with this and said that because I work retail and walk to much (3-4 miles a day) He is ok with this weight.

But this is what the weight that I am carrying is from.
Babies: 6.5 pounds
Placentas: 4-5 pounds
Amniotic Fluid: 4-5 pounds
Blood Supply: 2-3 pounds
Fat stores(?)- 5-8 pounds
Uterus: 4-6 pounds

I think that I am burning off MY weight, and not the weight that is for the babies. In my head that is what I think. I keep getting told my face looks thinner, and have had several people be behind me at stores or customers at work be behind me, and I turn around and they are like "I didn't know you were pregnant, you don't look it from behind" This could be taken several ways but take I take it as a major compliment. I am ALL BABY BUMP. And my belly button I think is going to pop soon. I really want it to so I can give it a spa treatment.

I will update as information changes. I hope you have a healthy and happy Christmas and New Years!

No comments:

Post a Comment