The Parent Trap

.

Friday, September 3, 2010

I'm what?!?!?!

Finding out you are pregnant is not an easy thing to describe. It's different for everyone. I have made a list of what I would compare it to for everyone.
Finding out your pregnant is like:
*winning the big ticket item at a raffle you never thought you'd get
*your favorite college football player going #1 in the draft to your favorite team
*coming home from work and seeing your favorite dish all prepared
*going to the grocery store and seeing all ice cream is on sale
*getting a bill in the mail that says you over paid and don't have to pay this month
*going to the dentist and being told "your teeth look great keep it up"
*sitting on an airplane in the window seat and the person in the middle seat doesn't show up, letting you have a little extra space.

Now finding out you are pregnant with twins is something I CAN describe. Since I was a little girl and first saw "The Parent Trap" I have wanted twins. My entire life, I just thought it would be so fun to have twins. My family thought I was crazy as did most of my friends. When I told Andy this he thought I was out of my mind. I used to day dream about having twins. This is how much I have always wanted twins. When we went in for our first appointment, 8 weeks, the Dr. went through all the regular pregnancy stuff, eat healthy, exercise, this is your due date. I wanted to get to the Ultrasound. He told us we may not see a heart beat since it was a bit early. We got lucky. He found a sac with a heart beat. We both sorta tuned him out at the point and were just happy that the sac had a heartbeat. But then the Dr, kept moving around the wand to see more. I wasn't sure what was going on. Then he says this "Oh, and here we have a second sac with a heart beat, you are having twins"

EXCUSE ME?!?!?!? I sat up, looked at him and said "Your kidding me?" He said, I wouldn't kid about this. Andy went blank and silent, I asked a bazillion questions, (what are the chances, are they conjoined, are you sure) He took us back to the exam room, went through some "Twin" facts, (born early, smaller weight) told us congrats and left us. I looked at Andy and just cried. From shock. You see, Andy had kidded me for years he did NOT want twins. I felt crushed, probably from the hormones and asked Andy "Are you mad at me, is this ok?" Of course he wasn't mad, of course he was ok, he was just in shock he told me. This explained why I was getting larger so early. I spent the better part of the morning freaking out and crying. The poor nurse where I had to have blood work done was the first victim of my crying freaking out. She was so nice.

But the reason for this post is this, how can I describe what it's like to find out your having twins? Like this. Finding out I was having twins was like the time I wished for a pet pig and got it.

I had asked for a pet pig for my birthday every year since I can remember. For my 17th birthday I got one. I was in such shock that I got what I had always wanted. That's how I can describe having twins.

1 comment:

  1. Yup I still didn't really believe it when you guys told us because I thought number one... what are the chances of having twins... and number two... what are the chances of having twins when you have always wanted them so badly...Ok so I realize the chances are the same but it blew my mind...Unreal example of how things can come true if you just really really wish for them =)

    ReplyDelete